WHO IS IT FOR?
For health, social care, care home or hospice educators wanting effective approaches to:
- explore staff personal and professional beliefs and challenges around advance care conversations and planning
- strengthen staff confidence and competence in talking with patients/clients about their wishes in a positive way
- anticipate virtual or in-person delegate reactions before using the tools with actual delegate responses
increase staff personal and professional commitment to supporting ACP/EOL initiatives
- strengthen facilitation skills and incorporate this approach and resources to support your local workshops, forms or initiatives.
WHY THIS APPROACH?
- Staff are required to act in patient’s best interest, many are avoiding-or fear, starting these conversations themselves.
- Overcoming this resistance is as much a key to effective patient-centered conversations, as the specifics of how to engage others in advance care or end of life conversations.
- This workshop series has proven effective in doing both, with the added benefit of leaving staff with tools they can then use with patients and clients as a result.
Personal Link to 6 X 45 min, on-line webinar sessions delivered by CFL Founder/Educators
- Session 1: Welcome, a framework for facilitators & getting started
The Conversations for Life approach, framework and guidelines with ice-breakers and an introduction to the Conversation Game.
- Session 2: Facilitating what matters most
Multiple ways to facilitate The Conversation Game from Educator; Staff and Patient perspectives.
- Session 3: Breaking the Silence
Keys to using the power of this film to engage staff, public or patient-family awareness, reflection, and emotional safety, with tools to inform and help capture patient/family conversations.
- Session 4: What & How?
The importance of facilitating spiritual assessments, and integrating local resources, with frameworks and nationally endorsed sample documents for staff/patient/family use.
- Session 5: Putting it All Together
Facilitating the CFL Person-Centred Conversation with our Conversation Guide, and practical tips to use the resources with teams-including multidisciplinary teams-as part of local initiatives.
- Session 6: Your Questions Answered
Monthly group Q&A session with lead facilitator. Available only for full series participants
Session fees also include:
- 1 pack of the Conversation Game (shipped upon registering, please allow 10 days for shipping)
- Online, password protected access to Breaking the Silence, (and/or DVD shipped)
- PDF Facilitator Guides for our approach and each of the Conversations for Life Facilitator Tools:
- The CFL Facilitation Approach
- The CFL 6 Part Framework for Educators and Participants
- Facilitating the Conversation Game in Staff Education Sessions
- Facilitating the Film as a tool for conversations – including an overview of the content for ease of further use.
- The CFL Conversation Guide/Template
- Facilitating a Spiritual Assessment Framework and Guidance
- PDF Staff Delegate Handouts for each of the Tools:
- Exploring what matters most-using the Conversation Game in Staff Education
- Reflecting on their personal experience to apply in their work.
- Workshop Templates w/sample outlines and course timings for session delivery:
- “Best of”- 90min facilitated workshop, guiding delegates through the first 3 tools.
- 3 hour workshop session
- Full -day workshop delivery for multi-disciplinary teams
On completion of the session-Educators receive:
- Certificate of course completion
- License for the participant (individual) to use the CFL evidence-based approach and materials as part of staff education/ initiatives on advance care planning or end of life;
- Permission to duplicate delegate handouts (so long as no changes are made to materials; and delivered as part of free staff or public education)-See Terms & Conditions
- BONUS – Available for full series participants only. Access to monthly virtual Q&A sessions with CFL Founder & lead facilitator.
Disclaimer: The quotes of participant experiences on this website were from those who experienced the full, in-person workshop and tools delivered by Conversations for Life facilitators. Due to varying levels of educator experience and delegate need, outcomes may vary.